Monday, September 13, 2021

Special - Analysis on Waxahachie's Tax Rate

 Hello Friends!

I received an email from a retired city finance director who is light years ahead of me when it comes to numbers and analysis.  He took it upon himself to run some numbers regarding Waxahachie's tax rate, which the city likes to point out is the lowest in Ellis County.  Some have used this as justification for not lowering taxes further, but simply comparing tax rates without looking at any other data really isn't a fair assessment of the tax burden faced by the citizens.

His analysis brings other factors into looking at our tax rate and tax burden and I thought it was so interesting that you all would enjoy reviewing it as well.  I've uploaded the document to a google drive in order to share it with everyone.  Here is the link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZuYZYaq_kcoJJrWd_rpU6UZgxasjqAKj/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=103747984124048467179&rtpof=true&sd=true

I'm not here to argue about metrics or data (or anything for that matter), but simply had information that I felt you'd like to review.

Your Friendly Councilmember,

Melissa Olson, CMO
(text) 817-507-5162
molson@waxahachie.com

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I need to reread this analysis because I found it rather interesting. I was aware Waxahachie had more citizens living at or below the poverty level than many nearby communities, but I did not realize the city outpaced so many other municipalities in sales tax revenue. All told, I guess this analysis illustrates the numerous perspectives involved in evaluating tax burdens, spending and quality of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I think I've reread it 3 times already. It's definitely thought-provoking!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete